Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Taking care of our own? Yeah right!

That's a nice wish now isn't it. Or how about the Republican mantra of how they "support the troops"? Want to see how they support the troops? Yes? Then just look at the Tennessean ( Tennessee sees record number of people on food stamps www.tennessean.com The Tennessean ) . Here is snip from that article: Tony Clifford never thought he would have to ask anybody for help like this. But the Bellevue resident, a disabled Iraq war veteran who now works as a carpenter, is feeling the effects of the housing meltdown.
He and his 3-year-old son downsized into a smaller home, and canceled cable TV, phone and Internet service. Now he is trying to enroll in the food stamp program here so that his son will have nutritious meals.
"I always had too much pride to ask for help. I always felt I could pay my bills, but not now, not on a single income," Clifford said. "I'm not asking for a handout. I'm just trying to stand back up. It's kind of one of the ultimate kicks to the groin to ask for help. It's deplorable that people who haven't needed to ask for help now need it, and I think it's going to be a continuing trend." Wow! I can honestly say I did underestimate George W. Bush. In fact, I didn't think anyone could do as much damage to this nation as this man has done. I guess he was also extra special because he managed to do it all in 8 yrs time. Amazing! As of Oct. in Tn we have 443,115 households on food stamps that is an increase from January's 404,541 households. The monthly value of these food stamps is $8,388,607.00 . So, before anyone can start whining and crying about the money we are spending to feed AMERICANS and OUR VETERANS and our SOLDIERS let's just look at some numbers really fast. $8,388,607.00 is for 1 month of food. Here is another number for you $238,425 that's how much we spend PER MINUTE in Iraq. $238,425 PER MINUTE!!! In case you are wondering , that means we could feed these families here in Tennessee in the USA for 1 YEAR for what we spend in IRAQ in SEVEN HOURS!! Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

No comments: